This time around I wanted to make the camera move a great distance but I needed to keep the amount of time spent on the project down to a minimum. In order to create a large model in a small amount of time, I used displacement maps on simple, low-poly models to give the illusion of a more complex geometry. I reused textures and models interchangeably to stretch my art a little further.
This week I worked on the castle itself. I also imported some of my maps to see how they look. I’m almost fully finished with all the modeling and then I can move on to my favorite part, lighting!
This week I worked on painting each Mudbox piece. I exported my maps and I’ve started applying them to a shader.
This week I worked on the base that the castle sits on. Now that all of the rock sculpting is finished, I can begin painting and texturing.
This week I worked on the walkway for my castle mountain. I sculpted all the detail and put it aside for painting later. I’ve started setting up the final piece that the castle sits on as well as the castle itself.
Boy was this a busy week. I got really far on the fine detail in Mudbox until I realized I was getting distortion due to an imperfect base model. I had two options, start over or re-topologize & transfer the detail.